Thursday, July 19, 2007

Minor Sculpting Disaster


Thought I'd share why regardless of how long you've been using an oven for curing your polymer clay you should always use an oven thermometer. I didn't today and apparently the temperature in my oven was either running too high or fluctuated higher. This is what happened.

I'm rather sad about it actually, because she was quite cute and I wanted to use this sculpt to experiment with using thin washes of colors such as blue and green over flesh tone clay. A little later I'll mask of the eyes which are glass beads and give it a nice coat of spray primer to see if I can salvage it with a pretty paint job.

Lesson learned, I'll always check the temperature with my oven thermometer from now on.

2 comments:

Tejae: Heart Shaped Art said...

I read somewhere that one of the polymer clay manufacturers have recently changed their baking temps to be lower. Read the packaging for sure but I thought it was Premo brand, not positive tho.

Unknown said...

Well in this case I know it was my oven because I had used some of the clay from that batch before with no baking problems. I will check up on that though because while 90% of the time I use super sculpey I do sometimes use some of the other brands.