Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Update on the Commissioned Sculpture

Here's a little update on my sculpture commission. This is the sort of messy, ugly looking stage that I hate showing but just wanted to show everyone reading that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth and have made progress on this sculpt.

The body and neck still need a lot more filling out and you can see that I've constructed the basic shape of the drapery. I've left a lot of room to be able to build up the folds, under a very thin layer of clay is some wireform mesh. I love that stuff, it's you've never tried it, wireform mesh is made by Amaco and is a very flexible fine aluminum mesh that you can cut and shape really easily (heavy duty scissors will do the trick). Great stuff for fabric, wings, and other thin areas that need support.

No comments: